Archives for the month of: August, 2015

I found some beige sheer curtains with latticework tops for six bucks at the Goodwill. I had made curtains in the past for the bedroom end of my camper, but it had made it stuffy and trapped the heat — so I liked the idea of curtains that would allow a breeze across the top. I don’t need privacy curtains exactly because it’s just me camping, these days, but I like the idea of having a separation between bedroom and kitchen/eating area.

I ordered some camper curtain tabs on line and they arrived today, but they were too big. I sliced the little round end of the tab in half with a razor to make the fit in the track. I had no patience for sewing the things on so I used a stapler. My kind of project.

IMG_0920[1]

Also: the local discount stores like Big Lots have summer clearance on stuff like solar lights right now. I got a string of solar rope light on the cheap, indoor outdoor, and ran it behind the curtain rail down the side of the camper and above the kitchen end. I dropped the solar charger — a flat thing about the size of a wallet — face out against the window screen, tucked inside the cover (i could zip it in there, it’s weatherproof) and it charged in a semi shady spot from afternoon onward. I am going to like coming home in the dark and having a nice non-electric “night light” helping me find the switch.

IMG_0922[1]

IMG_0926

I had one of those tall shelf units meant to go over a toilet, for towels and such — and I had no real place for it. When I looked at it closely, it had come in a short box and the legs had been assembled tent-pole-style and attached with screws. I took the top part off of the bottom part and voila, it was really shallow in depth and just the right height to go over my pop up sink for a toothbrush cup, makeup mirror, alarm clock, etc.

The legs were sharp metal at the bottom and it obviously would have to be removed to fold up the ‘pup, (fits beautifully under the table area) so I bought four white rubber feet slightly larger than the shelf posts and stuck them to the countertop with removable “Command” hook adhesives. (I fear commitment.) So the unit can be placed in the feet and won’t scoot right, left, front or back. It lifts out when it’s time to roll.

So happy.

IMG_0803[1]

IMG_0802[1]

For 88 cents each I got these stick down floor tiles to cover the stained and dated linoleum. They were easy to cut and fit with a ruler and box cutter which is good, because nothing in a pop up is square. I spent maybe an hour on it last night and finished up this morning — a couple of hours of work for a really nice result.